Categories
Uncategorized

32 children killed in Indonesia soccer riots, government investigator

MALANG, Indonesia (Reuters) – Thirty-two children were among the dead in a riot after a soccer match in Indonesia’s East Java province on Sunday night, officials said.
125 People who tried to escape were said to have been crushed to death. At least 125 people have died so far. Officials said 32 of the victims were children between the ages of three and 17. So far, 17 children have died. “If tear gas had not been used, there would have been no chaos,” Choirul Anam, chairman of the Indonesian Human Rights Commission, told a press conference at the stadium. FIFA’s safety rules prohibit the use of firearms or “crowd control gas” in matches. President Joko Widodo has ordered the suspension of all first division games until an investigation is completed. Security Minister Mahfud said on Thursday that an independent investigative team of academics, football experts and government officials would be formed. The team said it will investigate further in the coming weeks. The government will provide 50 million rupiah ($3,268) per household to the bereaved families of the victims. Medical expenses for the injured shall be free.